From your local news station to the White House, it seems like everyone has a social media presence today. But is it just a passing fancy, or something that can genuinely have an impact on the long term success of your business? Is it worth your time and energy? The answer is yes. Cultivating a social media presence has become an integral part of marketing strategy. The trick is figuring out which platforms will work best for your business, and making sure they’re ones that your demographic is still using. For example, young adults have largely moved past Facebook and into Instagram and Tumblr. Yet older demographics are just now embracing Facebook.
No matter whom you’re looking to target, there are several reasons why having a social media presence is necessary for your business.
- Increases Consumer Trust: Social media is an inherently personal product. It’s fundamental purpose is to allow one person to share their personal information with many others. By creating social media posts for your business, your audience is allowed to interact with your business in a personal way—the same way they interact with friends. A good social media profile can help increase customer trust, because they can communicate with you as a person instead of just a business. And of course, increased trust leads to increased sales and brand loyalty. The key is to be authentic. According to Digital Buzz Blog, auto-posting to Facebook decreases likes and comments by 70%. So rather than canned comments, be creative, and take the time to write personal, relatable posts, and most importantly–reply to comments left by your customers.
- Builds Brand Awareness: As recently noted in this post, brand awareness is key to the long-term growth of a company. Social media can be extremely effective in building brand awareness, simply because it allows your business to be showcased on more platforms. The way you use social media for your business can help make your brand’s message more cohesive and its image more identifiable. Brand awareness is especially important in the early days of your business, so creating a social media presence early can make for a more effective launch. Also, the cost is relatively low compared to other advertising methods, making it optimal for a startup. With regular updates, using social media for brand awareness helps legitimize your business by proving that is alive and well, compared to the often-static content of websites.
- Improves Targeting of Audience: According to Media Bistro, 74% of consumers rely on social media to influence their purchasing decisions. Using social media helps you see who your customers are and what’s important to them. People who connect with your business on social media are potentially the best representations of your target audience. With social media tools, you can track who is looking at your profile, including age, gender, and occupation, allowing you to target potential customers more effectively. Also, you can gain insights about what people are gravitating towards on your social media, through likes and comments. If photos are getting 20 likes and videos are getting 10 likes, you may want to focus more on posting interesting photos.
- Allows for Quick and Easy Updates: When launching a new product or service, there’s no faster way to inform your audience than social media. For example, when someone likes your page on Facebook, posts from your company will show up on their news feed, meaning your customers will be made aware of new content without even having to look for it. Updates can also be shared and spread easily from person to person. Facebook has recently changed their algorithms and businesses have to work harder to get their message to the fans. Less than 10% of fans will see your updates if they are not sponsored. We encourage our clients to spend a portion of their ad budget on Facebook each month to gain exposure.
- Increases Traffic and Conversion: According to Media Bistro, 81% of consumers are influenced by their friends’ posts on social media when making purchasing decisions. This is just one of the ways a good social media presence can increase traffic for your business. Posts can be seen by your customers and their friends, allowing for greater dispersion and visibility of your business, which can lead to increased sales. Also, your social media profiles and posts can be linked to your website, resulting in increased traffic and improved SEO. Social media increases conversion in part by increasing credibility. Companies with a high number of followers are often seen as more legitimate by consumers (and search engines), which may prompt them to choose your company over a competitor.
WebScout offers a free 15-20 minute phone consultation for anyone starting a new marketing project. Contact Us today.